I am interested in how people, perceive, experience and understand their circumstances (both professional and personal).
As an experienced evaluator I work with organisations big and small to help them identify what is working well, what needs developing and / or changing. A key task is t identify how a programme or intervention is impacting on the people or situation it has been designed to support. I am also interested in the experiences of those who are developing and implementing changes.
I deliver qualitative evaluations designed to capture feelings and interpretations. I take account of the wider context and the personal philosophies that guide people's decision-making processes, looking at assumptions and values as much as at what they did.
Qualitative evaluations can include:
- Interviewing individuals
- Facilitating focus groups
- Taking people through a structured process e.g. Theory of Change (www.theoryofchange.org)
- I can also help to develop an evaluation framework to build into the outset of a new project or development both at the application for funding stage and prior to implementation
People and organisations I have worked with include:
- Dundee Community Development Programme, Rank Foundation
- Northwood Foundation
- Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- Fair Isle Primary School, Fife
- EDG ( Edinburgh Development group )
What people said:
"We commissioned Claire to undertake an internal learning review of a major project for Joseph Rowntree Foundation after completion. With her co-trainer she understood the brief very quickly and as such we were able to deliver to time an insightful report and PowerPoint to assist with our learning, as well as run a final focus group for staff.
They were highly professional and really understood what we were trying to achieve. By using a combination of group work and individual interviews, she allowed people's views and experiences to be heard and accounted for. Would not hesitate to work with Claire again or to recommend her and her co-trainer to others."
Director of Communications, Joesph Rowtree Foundation
“I am currently working with Claire on the evaluation of the Rank Foundation’s Dundee Community Development Programme. In our first year we have already designed and delivered two Theory of Change sessions, and are looking forward to running groups with members of staff from the 21 projects later in the year. I am really enjoying working with Claire as my fellow evaluator; she brings great energy and commitment to the work, as well as her insights gained from close engagement with the projects on the ground. This is fascinating work, and she is the perfect partner for getting under the skin of Rank’s vision and getting close to the community in Dundee.”
Siobhan Edwards – Freelance evaluator
Evaluating and what people said
- what is the change you want to see?
- what are people experiencing?
- what is working and why?
- what isn’t and why?
- what is the difference you are making?
Training and what people said
- bespoke and tailored
- workshops (half and full day)
- introductory and in-depth
- programmes and courses
- interactive and practical